Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Devils Elbow

Russell is so stoked about the name of the place we live. Devils Elbow is a little town near Ft Leonard Wood. Our apartment is located at the top of this winding gravel road that makes you feel like you are driving up to a cabin in the mountains in Colorado. It is a little nerve-racking at first to drive up and down from the apartment, but I am adjusting quickly. Russell on the other hand every time we go up and down drives really slow and states that is the speed I should be driving. Sometimes he can get SO worried.

Yesterday Mom and I went to the visitors center and then drove to what was supposedly a park where you could hike. We finally got there, and found nothing more than a gravel road and very thick forest on either side. We were slightly disappointed, and ended up just going back to my apartment. There we hiked around the apartments and to this overlook that is very high over a river. It was beautiful. Russell and my landlords are the sweetest people. Brian and Lisa Brown own the apartments as well as a woodworking business. Brian gave us a tour of his shop and showed up replica German steam trunks he is working on now. Then Lisa gave us a tour of their home. The made all the wood floors, cabinets, most of the furniture etc. It was gorgeous, especially with all the detail there was in their work. If you ever have to live in or near Ft Leonard wood, you should live here. :)

Today is the day my mom leaves. I am pretty sad bc I am by myself most of the day. Russell leaves by 5:30 or earlier in the morning, and comes back over 12 hours later. I am still hoping to find some kind of job or volunteer work, or I think I will go stir crazy by myself everyday...

Tonight we are going to a meeting with Russell's comander and his wife to learn more about what the next three months will look like, I'm hoping it will go well and that I will get along with the other wives, so I can have friends up here...

2 comments:

Jenny said...

How fun! This will be quite the adventure Claire!

We are praying for ya'll up there in the devil's elbow! :)

LOVE YOU!

Lauren said...

I'm so glad you found a place you love. It sounds endearing...I love the idea of the big hill.
I'm sure the other wives will love you...I'll be praying for you.
Hey, can I have your new address?