Monday, October 27, 2008

fall is in the air!

This weekend was full of celebrations. On Saturday my church had its annual Fall Festival. It is such a great community outreach. My parents as well as three other couples cooked and wrapped 1200 hotdogs...needless to say my mom didn't want to see another hotdog for '35 years' [which is what anniversary the church was celebrating this weekend :)] Russell and I enjoyed seeing the precious costumes, catching up with people we haven't seen in a while, as well as he continued to meet people I've grown up with at church. Sunday marked the church's 35th anniversary. Which might not seem like that many years to you, but what made this year even more special is the church building debt was paid off. In 2001 they broke the ground to build the sanctuary [where Russell and I got married!] and took out about $3.5 million dollars in debt. Fastforward to Fall of 2008, with interest paid the total is close to $4 million. It was completely paid in FULL the week of the church's anniversary. Now the church has almost $20,000 a month that was going to pay off the debt, now freed up for various ministeries and projects. I have been going to this church almost 15 years. I have loved it so much, it was the church where I first felt challenged and began to make my faith my own, where I met some of my best friends, where I got married, and now where my husband and I might attend now that we are back in Houston. All in all it was great to be there for the celebration :)

Later on Sunday afternoon we went to Bonnie and Russ's house where they were having a pumpkin carving party. Russell LOVES holidays, and decorating, so this party was totally up his alley. We carved two pumpkins and enjoyed drinking cider and eating festive goodies and getting to know their friends more.
The pumpkin I carved is on the right, it is a ghost in the middle, with 'BOO' written below it, Russell's is the large mouthed pumpkin, and he did get another pumpkin so he can make another attempt at a jack-o-lantern :)


No comments: